About Me

My photo
I am who I am. Don't try to change me, It won't work! Like me, love me, or get the hell out of my way! I have been described as an opinionated asshole in the past. Mostly by people that didn't like hearing what I had to say. I have also been decrribed as a very good friend to have when your butt's in the fire. If you are still reading this then maybe one day you will see that side of me, as you have passed the first test, you have listened.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Trip Report for Eagle Rock, SC #7.

Ok, I have been a little remiss in posting this trip report. It is due to the fact that I have been busy and haven’t had the time to sit in front of the computer to write. But here we go.

I have not been feeling my best in the last week mainly due to the fact that I couldn’t walk from Tuesday to Friday. This is due to the weather change I think. It has been cold and damp here in VA. But Sat I got up and was feeling a little better so after getting out of work at 1730hrs I came home and threw the gear in the truck and got out on the road. I stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up some propane cylinders for my stove and some General Soe’s chicken for my gut and then I was west bound for the Promised Land.

I arrived in smoke hole around 2000hrs and did the link up with mike G at the campfire. This is also where I met Cindy B and Phoebe, who both ROCK. Literally, they are both climber’s. After hanging out at the fire for a while we moved down to the camp site where I talked Mike into helping me set up my new Mountain Hardware tent. Between the two off us we got it set up. One day I will learn to do pre-trip checks on the gear. But we got it set up with no problems. Matt was right this tent rocks. I stayed dry and warm and no condensation at all built up over the night. Ok that was my little plug for Mountain Hardware for this blog. (Mt. Hardware, you can send the check to my Home address) Ok now back to the trip report, after setting up the tent Mike and I did the typical camp thing with everyone and stood around and talked and just had a plain old good time. I had also brought a couple of Magic Hat’s with me in the ruck that I shared with everyone. Magic Hat # 9 has to be one of my favorite beers of all time (Magic Hat, you can also send the check to my home address).

Sunday morning I woke up after one of the best nights of sleep that I have had in a long time. It had to be the river flowing right next to the campsite but I slept very well. After everyone was up Mike, Cindy, and Pheobe went up to Mike’s and I hung out at the campsite and sorted my climbing gear for the day and packed up my tent, fart sack and puss pad. Then I just hung out and enjoyed the wonderful scenery that was all around me. I got some really good pictures of the sun on the rocks and the river. When everyone got back Mike had made breakfast for everyone. I’m here to tell you Mike makes the best breakfast burritos that I have ever had in my whole life. So after filling our stomachs with really good food and coffee it was time to fill the hole in my soul for some new rock. So it was off to SC#7!
We left Eagle and set out for SC#7. After arriving we loaded up the gear and headed up for the crag on the wonderful trail that Mike and his group have been working on. As we went along Mike explained some of the route’s that have been placed and things of that nature. We arrived at where we were going to be setting up. The first route of the day was Dr. Taco. Mike lead it and set the top rope up for me so I could drag my broken down butt up the rock to try to get some of the kinks worked out. This was a wonderful little Rt. and was a good beginning for the day. After I drug my butt up it Pheobe went up with style and grace cleaning the route and set the top rope anchor through the chains as I should have done my first time up. Then it was Cindy’s turn up which she did very well. At this point we moved on down the crag to where I got to meet Mike F. who was putting in another one of his masterpieces. Mike F. you rock buddy, you are a true rock artist with brass balls to do it from the ground up and solo. Next we went over next to Dr. Taco and did a very nice route with a roof to it. Mike lead this one as well and set the top rope for me. Mike I can’t seem to remember the name to this one, I was having too much fun to write things down, hence I just don’t remember it. I do remember though that I couldn’t drag my ass over the roof even after all the coaching from Pheobe who was belaying for me. Thank you, Pheobe, for the belay and encouragement. Then it was Cindy up the route and over the roof with class and skill for days. Next up on the hit list for the day was Superman, which Mike lead and set the top rope for me. I liked this little route from the ground all the way up to the top. It was even more fun after I peeled off of it while cleaning a little loose rock. I’m sorry again to everyone for not calling the rock coming down and thank you very much Mike for catching me. Even though, I didn’t call falling. It got the heart going and I loved it all the more. There must be something wrong with me that I love the feeling of falling as much as I love climbing. Then It was Cindy and Pheobe up Superman both doing an outstanding job making my struggles look silly I might say. Here we broke for lunch and some wonderful conversation and then we asked Mike F. if we could get on the route that he had just finished bolting. Too which, he said that we could. Thank you again Mike F. This first one up was Pheobe who did an outstanding job with the struggle of this route. Mike, Man this is some sadistic stuff that you put up there. Here are some pictures so you can see for your-self what I’m talking about.














I am sad to report that I hardly got off the ground on this one. I almost achieved the first bolt. But what can I say besides “I’ll be back” again, and again and probably again till I get this one down. I love the line Mike, you did an outstanding job on it. So by the time we got done trying Mike’s line it was getting dark so we packed it in and headed down to the road. This was one of the better days I have had climbing in a while. Thank you to everyone for a warm welcome and a wonderful fun filled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment